- Vancouver, British Columbia - Ben Affleck has had one of the more interesting and polarizing careers in recent memory with some people still not forgiving him for Gigli or for dating Jennifer Lopez, while others, they've done their best to forget about that travesty, instead remembering his breakout work in Good Will Hunting and more recently, his directorial success with The Town. As a teenager, I remember being a fan of his work, even if today, I can see how some of his earlier performances may not have been that great after all. Nevertheless, after having directed two exquisite films in Gone Baby Gone and aforementioned The Town, he has earned my respect to the point that any new film he makes, I'm eager and willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, hence how I find myself reviewing Argo today.
Film Reviews and Commentary
Entries in Warner Bros (6)
- Vancouver, British Columbia - Yeah, I saw this. And I feel kind of bad for Warner Bros., since they clearly have high expectations for this film, and when I saw that they were avidly declaring how it’ll kick off the summer for WB, I wasn’t averse to seeing it; it looked entertaining enough and it was a pretty successful off-Broadway play. And I was seeing it for free, so why not? I’ll tell you why not.
- Vancouver, British Columbia - I remember the first Happy Feet quite well when it came out in theatres five years ago. It opened in November 2006 up against the new James Bond film Casino Royale. And would you believe it, a movie about a toe-tapping penguin beat Bond and took #1 at the box office and went on to gross almost $400 million internationally. It was Warner Brothers' big contender in the battle of animated films. Then they never really followed it up with anything until The Legend of the Guardians in 2010, which failed at the box office. So, they went the safe route and came back to Happy Feet, making a sequel that I felt was a little unnecessary.
- Vancouver, British Columbia - I remember 2002 quite well. For cinema it was the year of the sequel. In that year alone we saw the second Lord of the Rings film, Star Wars: Episode II, Men In Black II, Blade II, and others. Exactly one year after the first film, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was released. Warner Brothers was quite confident in making the Harry Potter series into a full franchise simply based on the box office results of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It had become the second highest grossing film of all time worldwide. Currently it has been bumped down to the eighth spot, which is still nothing to scoff at.
- Vancouver, British Columbia - If you were wondering who the heck Green Lantern was when you first saw the trailers for Green Lantern, you weren't alone. At best, Green Lantern seems to be nearly universally regarded as a bit of a B-list superhero, yet those who are his fans are very vocal and very proud. One of my best friends, he adores Hal Jordan. Thus when I heard that a film adaptation was coming, I was interested in learning a bit about this superhero. The truth is that I am beginning to tire of superhero movies, but this is one that interested me, merely because I wanted to see what the fuss was about Green Lantern.